How to replace a failed disk in Netezza
Steps to follow for failed disk replacement in Netezza Twinfin appliance.
1) It is always good to first turn off all the lights for all disks beacuse its possible that someone may have left it ON during previous replacement and that may create confusion to IBM SSR.
NOTE: Below command will only affect disks and not other hardware types.
for hwid in `nzhw -type disk | tr -s ” ” | cut -d ” ” -f 2`; do nzhw locate -off -id $hwid; done
2) Now identify the failed disks that needs to be replaced
Description HW ID Location Role State
———– —– ——————– —— —–
Disk 1111 spa1.diskEncl4.disk9 Failed Ok
3) Turn on the LED for the failed drives:
nzhw locate -id 1111
Turned locator LED ‘ON’ for disk: Logical Name:’spa1.diskEncl4.disk9′ Physical Location:’1st rack, 4th disk enclosure, disk in Row 3/Column 1′.
4) Notify IBM SSR to go ahead with disk replacement.
5) Once step 4 is done run “nzhw -issues” and you will see a new hwid. The new drives will have the highest hwid’s in the system (with every new hardware added to system, it gets the hwid = current max hwid + 1)
5) After the new drive is recognized by NPS, activate the drive.
nzhw activate -id
Now nzhw -issues should not list these drives
6) Turn the lights off on the disks using the new hwid’s:
nzhw locate -off -id