Edition upgrade from SQL Server 2008 R2 Express to Standard Edition
In this article we will take you through the detailed steps on how to do edition upgrade of SQL Server 2008 R2. Edition upgrade of 2008 R2 is quite different from what we used to do in SQL Server 2005, where we have to start installer from command prompt by passing the parameter SKUUPGRADE=1. In 2008 R2 there is no need to start installer from command prompt. Now we have a Edition upgrade option in 2008 R2 installer, under Maintenance tab.
In the below steps we will be upgrading SQL Server 2008 R2 express edition to 2008 R2 standard edition.
Steps to do SQL Server 2008 R2 Edition Upgrade:-
1) Open SQL Server 2008 R2 installer and go to Maintenance tab in the installer window. Here click on Edition Upgrade option. New window will open.
2) Installer will check for setup support rules. Fix any failed rule and then move to next step.
3) Here enter the product key and click next.
4) Accept licensing term and conditions and move to next step.
5) Installer will find all the installed SQL Server instances on this server. Select the one you want to upgrade and click on next.
6) Installer will check for edition upgrade rules. Again fix the issue if any rule has failed. Once there are no failures, move to next step.
You can view the detailed report by clicking on ‘view detailed report’ or you can find this report at path C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20110916_132511\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm
7) Review the summary and click on upgrade.
8) Incase you hit this below issue, refer here
9) Upgrade completed successfully.