Applying SQL Server 2005 SP4 may fail with error like below:-
In bootstrap log you will see below message -
Product : Database Services (MSSQLSERVER)
Product Version (Previous): 4060
Product Version (Final) :
Status : Failure
Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB2463332_sqlrun_sql.msp.log
Error Number : 29537
Error Description : MSP Error: 29537 SQL Server Setup has encountered the following problem: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.. To continue, correct the problem, and then run SQL Server Setup again.
One or more products failed to install, see above for details
Exit Code Returned: 29537
Also you will see below error message in windows event viewer under application Log:-
CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.) while attempting to open or create the physical file ‘F:\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\temp_MS_AgentSigningCertificate_database_log.LDF’.
You will see below error when the default database data and log file path (mentioned under SQL Server instance properties –> Database Settings) does not exist at OS level. Possibly after installation some one have moved the data and log files to new location and have deleted the old folder structure, but forgot to update the default data and log file path.
To resolve the issue, just update the default database data and log file path under SQL Server instance properties –> Database Settings and prove a valid path. Then try running your installer again.
In this article we will talk about applying QFE security path for SQL Server 2008 R2 64bit on Windows 2008 R2 box. It’s similar to how we implemented GDR security update on SQL Server 2005 SP3 and 2003 SP1. This update takes around 25 minutes to complete.
1) Open the executable downloaded from Microsoft website and click on Run. You will see below screens.
2) SQL Server setup will check for the rules. If any rule failed, we need to fix the same before continuing with the installation. Like in below screen ‘Restart Computer’ rule failed. So, we need to quit the installer and reboot the server before we can continue.
By clicking view detailed report, below screen will open which will show the full details of each row, its status and corrective action required incase the rule failed.
3) You will see the below screen with all rules as Passed. Move to next step if there s no failure.
4) Accept the licensing terms and move to next step.
5) Setup will show details of instances that will be updated by this patch.
6) Here setup will look for any locked files. If it finds any, then we have to restart the server once patching is completed successfully or stop the process manually and click on Refresh Check. Like in below screens, setup finds one process. Here we didn’t stop the service manually but rather preferred to reboot the server after patching is complete.
7) Verify the final summary. If everything looks good, click on Install.
8) Patching complete screen will come, if update is successful. Click Next.
9) Here pop-up window will appear to restart the computer in-order to complete the patching (If you have not stopped the services in step 6). Reboot the server and you have successfully applied the security patch.
In this article we will show you steps to apply security patch for SQL Server 2008 SP 1 on 32bit Windows 2003 box. Approximate time taken for this update is around 25 minutes.
1) Double click on the setup file downloaded from Microsoft website and then click on Run.
2) Setup will extract the files and will open a welcome window for setup.
3) Setup will perform a pre-check and some rules may fail if it finds any issues. Like in below window Restart Computer rule fails. So, we have to restart the box before we can continue with the setup.
Once computer is restarted, we will see the below screen. Continue only when setup shows ‘Passed’ for all the rules.
4) Accept the term and conditions and click Next.
5) Setup will show all the available instance on this server and will automatically check the check box against instance name to which this patch can be applied. Click Next.
6) Setup will look for files, which are required by this update process but are in use. If setup finds any such file, then restart may be required once update is complete.
7) Verify window will come with the summary. Click Update. Now, setup will run for around 15 minutes.
8) If update completes successfully, we will see below screen. Click Next.
9) To view the logs of update operation, click on the location specified, else close the window. If restart is required, you will get a pop-up window at this time.
Once we have downloaded the correct update GDR or QFE for your SQL Server 2005 instance, you can start the update process by executing the update package.
Note: It will take approximately 20 minutes for update process to complete. Make sure we have taken a down time of at least 20 minutes to apply this update.
1) Run the setup file which we have downloaded from Microsoft website. We have to make sure that the downloaded package is the correct one. Like in below screenshot we have downloaded this package for SQL Server 2005 32bit (setup file name is self descriptive).
2) Here setup will show the details of update/hotfix that we are going to apply. Like in below case we are going to apply 4060 hotfix (After patching is complete when we check the current version, it will be 9.xx.4060.xx)
3) Accept the license terms and click Next
4) Setup will automatically detect the SQL Server features installed on the server. Here if the check box against respective is not selected by default that mean that this setup is not the correct one for that version (even though we can manually select that feature and move next. Will may cause this update to fail).
5) Click Next
6) Setup will look for the files which are required by this setup. Incase setup finds and locked file, it will show at this point. Either we can kill the listed process and click Refresh or we can continue with installation. If we continue without taking any action, then we have to reboot the system in order for this update to take effect.
7) Click Install to start applying the hotfix.
9) Once update is completed successfully, we will see the below screen.
10) Click on View Summary to see the summary of what update setup did. Else click next and then Finish on next screen.
11) Reboot the system if no action was taken in step 6.
12) Check the current version and it should be 9.xx.4060.xx.