Applying QFE update on SQL Server 2008 R2
In this article we will talk about applying QFE security path for SQL Server 2008 R2 64bit on Windows 2008 R2 box. It’s similar to how we implemented GDR security update on SQL Server 2005 SP3 and 2003 SP1. This update takes around 25 minutes to complete.
1) Open the executable downloaded from Microsoft website and click on Run. You will see below screens.
2) SQL Server setup will check for the rules. If any rule failed, we need to fix the same before continuing with the installation. Like in below screen ‘Restart Computer’ rule failed. So, we need to quit the installer and reboot the server before we can continue.
By clicking view detailed report, below screen will open which will show the full details of each row, its status and corrective action required incase the rule failed.
3) You will see the below screen with all rules as Passed. Move to next step if there s no failure.
4) Accept the licensing terms and move to next step.
5) Setup will show details of instances that will be updated by this patch.
6) Here setup will look for any locked files. If it finds any, then we have to restart the server once patching is completed successfully or stop the process manually and click on Refresh Check. Like in below screens, setup finds one process. Here we didn’t stop the service manually but rather preferred to reboot the server after patching is complete.
7) Verify the final summary. If everything looks good, click on Install.
8) Patching complete screen will come, if update is successful. Click Next.
9) Here pop-up window will appear to restart the computer in-order to complete the patching (If you have not stopped the services in step 6). Reboot the server and you have successfully applied the security patch.