Applying GDR update on SQL Server 2008 SP1
In this article we will show you steps to apply security patch for SQL Server 2008 SP 1 on 32bit Windows 2003 box. Approximate time taken for this update is around 25 minutes.
1) Double click on the setup file downloaded from Microsoft website and then click on Run.
2) Setup will extract the files and will open a welcome window for setup.
3) Setup will perform a pre-check and some rules may fail if it finds any issues. Like in below window Restart Computer rule fails. So, we have to restart the box before we can continue with the setup.
Once computer is restarted, we will see the below screen. Continue only when setup shows ‘Passed’ for all the rules.
4) Accept the term and conditions and click Next.
5) Setup will show all the available instance on this server and will automatically check the check box against instance name to which this patch can be applied. Click Next.
6) Setup will look for files, which are required by this update process but are in use. If setup finds any such file, then restart may be required once update is complete.
7) Verify window will come with the summary. Click Update. Now, setup will run for around 15 minutes.
8) If update completes successfully, we will see below screen. Click Next.
9) To view the logs of update operation, click on the location specified, else close the window. If restart is required, you will get a pop-up window at this time.