In this article we will take you through the detailed steps on how to do edition upgrade of SQL Server 2008 R2. Edition upgrade of 2008 R2 is quite different from what we used to do in SQL Server 2005, where we have to start installer from command prompt by passing the parameter SKUUPGRADE=1. In 2008 R2 there is no need to start installer from command prompt. Now we have a Edition upgrade option in 2008 R2 installer, under Maintenance tab.
In the below steps we will be upgrading SQL Server 2008 R2 express edition to 2008 R2 standard edition.
Steps to do SQL Server 2008 R2 Edition Upgrade:-
1) Open SQL Server 2008 R2 installer and go to Maintenance tab in the installer window. Here click on Edition Upgrade option. New window will open.
2) Installer will check for setup support rules. Fix any failed rule and then move to next step.
3) Here enter the product key and click next.
4) Accept licensing term and conditions and move to next step.
5) Installer will find all the installed SQL Server instances on this server. Select the one you want to upgrade and click on next.
6) Installer will check for edition upgrade rules. Again fix the issue if any rule has failed. Once there are no failures, move to next step.
You can view the detailed report by clicking on ‘view detailed report’ or you can find this report at path C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20110916_132511\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm
7) Review the summary and click on upgrade.
8) Incase you hit this below issue, refer here
9) Upgrade completed successfully.
Attributes do not match. Present attributes (Directory, Compressed) , included attributes (0), excluded attributes (Compressed, Encrypted)
When you will see this issue
You may hit this error when you are tying to upgrade SQL Server and drive where SQL Server binaries and/or shared features are installed is compressed with NTFS windows file system compression and/or encryption is enabled.
Go to “C:\Program Files” and check the properties of “Microsoft SQL Server” folder. Here in the properties window you will fins advanced option under the General tab. Now go to advanced option and look for “Compress contents to save disk space” and “encrypt contents to secure data”. You will find these options as checked. Please uncheck these options and apply the changes. Now run the install again and it will run successfully.
Here are the steps that you can follow, if you have to uninstall only SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 R2 from your server. These steps are pretty easy and can be completed without any issues. Here we will be uninstalling SSRS 2008 R2 from Windows 2008 R2 server.
1) Navigate to control panel à Program and features. In Windows 2008 and earlier edition go to add/remove programs. Select Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 and click on change/uninstall.
2) You may see below error if other people are also logged in to this server. You may have to wait for other user to logoff from the server before continuing.
3) In this window click on Remove option.
4) You may see this window for some time. No action required, this step is just for FYI. Move to step 5.
5) Here installer will check the setup support rules. If there are no failures go to next step.
6) Select the instance for which you want to remove SSRS component. Here I have selected the default instance (as it is the only instance available in this example). Click Next.
7) Here in this window select the components to be removed. Here we will select Reporting Services and will move to next step.
8) Uninstall process will check for any processes which can block this uninstall and can lead to failure. If no failure is found proceed to next step.
9) Review the summary to make sure you have all the required components selected like here only SSRS, for uninstall. Click on Remove.
10) You will see below screen if SQL Server Reporting Services is uninstalled successfully.
NOTE: – Removing other SQL Server 2008 R2 components is also similar to what we have done above for removing SSRS.
While connecting to SQL Server instance you may get error message like ‘Server is in script upgrade mode. Only administrator can connect at this time’. Exact error message will be like:-
TITLE: Connect to Server
Cannot connect to TESTINSTANCE
Login failed for user ‘ad\username’. Reason: Server is in script upgrade mode. Only administrator can connect at this time. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18401)
For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18401&LinkId=20476
What causes this error?
One of the most possible cause is that some one is in the middle to install or uninstall some components of SQL Server like applying service patch, upgrade or service pack uninstall in SQL Server 2008 or 2008 R2, etc on this instance. Always check back with your database administrator if they are doing any of these tasks.
So, finally its decided that SQL Server Denali (code name) will be named as SQL Server 2012. Still not sure which all new features will be added/removed from SQL Denali CTP3 in the final release. Have to wait and watch….
Will keep updating this post with updated on SQL Server 2012.